Who We Are
Who We Are: From a small group of friends meeting in a living room in Byker in 1985, to its merger with another local church in the 1990’s, City Church has continued to grow and enjoy being part of God’s mission to Tyneside in each chapter of our story to date.
Today we draw people from around Tyneside together as a whole community each Sunday and in homes throughout the week. We have a strong range of outreach, youth, mission, social action and discipleship activities that stem from our vision to be a church that enjoys God, makes friends and changes lives.
Behind all the activity is a group of over a hundred enthusiastic and hardworking volunteer leaders making things happen. Supporting them and leading the church is our team of Elders, led by Ian who started the original church. Working together to raise up and release other people into leadership and to steer the church towards the things God has called it to do and become.
Ian leads the team and is married to Heather, a local GP. Having come to Newcastle to study Medicine, Ian went on to plant what would become City Church. Ian leads teaching and serves a number of other churches around the region and loves reading, doing up houses, drinking good wine and scuba diving. The Galloways have 5 children and live in Newcastle.
David became a Christian as a student at Durham and came to Newcastle to help to start a new church in 1989. Today David is married to Jill and lives in the west end of the city and works as an IT manager for the Government. David leads our Iranian community and is passionate about sport & explaining the Christian faith to people from other nations.
Simon grew up in Newcastle and came to Christ in his 20’s. Simon is a prolific reader, a cyclist, and is passionate about Newcastle United, good theology and seeing the whole church engaged in God’s mission. Simon is married to Janice and has two student aged daughters and works for BT. Together Simon and Janice support and train our City Group leaders and oversee our youth teams.
Andy grew up in Liverpool, studied in Newcastle and after 2 years work as a missionary into Eastern Europe returned to Newcastle to teach. Andy is married to Ros, has 3 children and works for the church full time, overseeing the pastoral life of the church, training and supporting group leaders, and developing new ways to draw the wider church into reaching the City. Andy loves to study and preach, has a wicked sense of humour and supports Liverpool.
Having taught high school History for several years, Duncan joined the church staff in 2007 to focus on developing outreach. In addition to overseeing Alpha, our Intro Sunday and Christmas in the City programme, Duncan leads our FP (year out) team, supports our student department and oversees church communications. Duncan and Susanna have 3 boys, enjoy loud music, star wars and talking.
Together our church & CastleGate Staff are responsible for supervising and delivering a lot of the key tasks that keep the church going.
Day to day the CastleGate runs as a conference business. Through this we serve lots of other organisations and people in the city and are able to resource a lot of our social action and community work
- Ed Morrow is the Operations Director for City Church and the Managing Director for the CastleGate business. As well as having responsibility for growing devotion in the church he also oversees our finances team, IT systems and the building.
- Becky Underwood facilitates the running of the building and events through her role as CastleGate Events Manager.
- Sally Hill works as the Office & Finance Manager, running the day to day finances and administration.
- Katie McNeill is the marketing manager for the CastleGate business.
- Catheryn Morrow is Church Admin and manages Health and Safety issues.
- Michelle Telford acts as first point of contact for the many people who use our building throughout the week along with office administration and church communication. She also manages all the CSO’s. Our CSO team work hard setting up and down for all events and services to the church and our clients.
- Denise Cole looks after reception part of the time as well as being admin for City Church safeguarding.
Interns & FP
Frontier Project (FP) is the NewFrontiers Gap Year scheme. FP has again and again been a powerful way for people to grow in their faith and gifts.